For months digital marketers all over the internet have been in panic mode due to the newest iOS update from Apple. The effect of this change has been drastic so far.
Facebook tracks their users across websites and apps. They do this using the Facebook pixel. Pixels are pieces of code that are installed on websites or apps. They are an analytics tool that allows you to measure the effectiveness of your advertising by understanding the actions people take on your website.
You can use the pixels to make sure your ads are shown to the right people. Pixels are usually “triggered” if a user takes a specific predefined action.
Now, Ad platforms are struggling to create detailed reports, thanks to the new iOS14.5 update. Their data points are disappearing and they don't have a substitute. This in turn has increased ad spend, with far less efficiency on the campaigns.
All platforms are being affected by these changes. Most are trying a variety of different approaches to combat this.
Here’s the great news!
MaxWeb found your solution!
We have developed an in-house system that is simply solving the iOS14.5 disaster caused by Apple. In case you don’t know, with iOS14.5 most of the Apple iPhone, Tablet, and Mac users won’t be tracked.
MaxWeb helps solve this by allowing you to ‘piggy back’ the Facebook pixel through S2S, meaning that everything can be tracked and you will be able to see the granular data inside your Facebook Dashboard. The cherry on top, Affiliates are able to manage all their Facebook pixel events from inside the MaxWeb Affiliate back office too!
We have set up a step-by-step guide on how to implement these steps to get you back on track! *Pun intended
This is how you set it up:
Setup within Facebook:
Step 1: Verify your landing page domain.
Step 2: Generate an access token for your pixel
2.1 - Using the Events Manager (Recommended by Facebook)
To use the Conversions API and generate an access token for it, you need to be an admin or system user on your Facebook Business Manager account and have a pixel created there.
How to set up a Meta Pixel
- Login to your Facebook Business account at https://business.facebook.com/ and go to the Events Manager page.
- Click on the Connect Data Sources and select Web.
- Add your Pixel name.
- Enter your website URL for which you have the domain verified.
- Select Conversions API and Meta pixel.
- Select Set up manually and go through the manual implementation setup (you can set up that later from the "Get Started" button when generating the access token).
Manual implementation setup
- Select View Content and Purchase events.
- Select the Event ID, Client IP, Phone number and the Email address checkboxes for Purchase and View Content events.
- Review and finish the setup.
- Place the pixel on the page where you want it to fire and make sure you see at least 1 visit in the Overview tab
Generate the access token
The access token is passed as a parameter in each API call. Inside Events Manager, follow these steps:
- Choose the pixel you want to implement.
- Go to the Settings tab:
- Copy the Pixel ID and save it.
- Find the Conversions API section and click on the Generate access token link under Set up manually.
- Note The Generate access token link is only visible to users with developer privileges for the business. The link is hidden from other users.
- Once you have your token, click on the Manage Integrations button in the Overview tab in Events Manager. In the pop-up screen, click the Manage button next to Conversions API. This will automatically create a Conversions API app and Conversions API system user for you. There is no need to go through App Review or request any permissions.
2.2 - Using Your Own App
Step 1 - Go to your Business' Settings.
Step 2 - Assign a Pixel to your system user (you also have an option to create a new system user at this stage).
Step 3 - Select the assigned system user and click Generate Token.
Your app does not need to go through App Review. You do not need to request any permissions.
Setup within Maxweb Affiliate Backoffice
Open your Offer Admin
Go To Settings Menu
Select the External Pixels tab and click on “Add New”
On this page,you’ll have to enter:
- a meaningful name for your pixel
- the API Token
- Pixel ID
- The domain that was verified on the Facebook Account
Setup on your Landing Page
Update your page code to capture the fbclid URL parameter and pass it forward on the Maxweb traffic link. If you do not have easy access to manage your page, simply add the code below on your lander and append &fb=1 on the MW URLs from the page:
ConclusionTo say the least, the past couple of months leading up to this change has been a stressful one indeed. Today, MaxWeb’s new pixel systems offer real-time access to ads tracking, impressions, clicks & conversions.